Howard County Opioid Crisis Community Council
A group of community stakeholders throughout Howard County gather every month to review and discover new opportunities to address opioid misuse. Responsibilities include identifying gaps and resources, assessing communication efforts, and recommending effective prevention and treatment strategies in a comprehensive manner. Senior Attorney, Cindy Johnson, attends the monthly meeting on behalf of the Howard County State’s Attorney’s Office and reports back with new and updated information.
Guiding Good Choices
Guiding Good Choices is an evidence-based, interactive prevention program that provides the families of children ages 9-14 with the skills and knowledge to reduce the risk that their children will use drugs.
After completing the program families will be able to:
- Influence their children to help prevent drug use and other risky behaviors.
- Develop clear family guidelines and expectations about drug use.
- Teach children how to stay out of trouble, keep their friends and still have a good time.
There are five sessions to the course:
- How to Prevent Drug Use in Your Family
- How to Develop Healthy Beliefs and Clear Standards
- Avoiding Trouble: How to Say No to Drugs
- Managing Conflict: How to Control and Express Your Anger Constructively
- Involving Everyone: How to Strengthen Family Bonds
The program is offered by The Howard County State’s Attorney’s Office and HC DrugFree in partnership with the Howard County Health Department.
Download/view the PDF Guiding Good Choices Flyer.
The Howard County State’s Attorney’s Office is an Alliance Partner of Choose Civility, the community-wide initiative led by Howard County Library System, to position Howard County, Maryland as a model of civility. Valuing diversity, we choose respect, compassion, empathy, and inclusiveness as essential to our quality of life.
Choose Civility website: http://choosecivility.org/