National Crime Victims’ Rights Week (April 2023)
Every April, our State’s Attorney’s Office joins with the Governor’s Office of Crime Prevention, Youth and Victim Services and the Maryland State Board of Victim Services in the annual observance of National Crime Victims’ Rights Week—a time to honor crime victims and to reflect on our nation’s progress in advancing their rights. In recent years, the annual observance featured a memorial service, an open house and reception at the State’s Attorney’s Office, along with the dedication of a garden remembering the victims of crime in Howard County.
The Governor’s Office of Crime Prevention, Youth, and Victim Services, in partnership with the Victim and Witness Divisions of the State’s Attorneys’ Offices, and the Maryland Board of Victim Services, sponsors four regional memorial services each year during the National Crime Victims’ Rights Week. The memorial services feature inspirational speakers, musical performances, and quiet reflection which honor over 4,000 crime victims of homicide, vehicular manslaughter, and missing crime victims and their families. These memorial services provide a safe, supportive, and trustworthy space for families of crime victims to congregate and share their stories. Many advocates, who strive to serve victims of crime, help to coordinate the memorial services because they understand the importance of a positive outlet for families to cope with their grief and honor their lost and loved ones.
- Northern Region – Anne Arundel, Baltimore City, Baltimore, Cecil, Harford, Howard
- Southern Region – Calvert, Charles, Prince George’s, St. Mary’s
- Western Region – Allegany, Carroll, Frederick, Garrett, Montgomery, Washington
- Eastern Region – Caroline, Dorchester, Kent, Queen Anne’s, Somerset, Talbot, Wicomico, Worcester
2023 Memorial Service Locations and Information
The 2023 Memorial Services will take place on Sunday, April 23, 2023
- Cecil County (Northern Region) – 1:00 p.m. at the Elkton Memorial VFW, 208 West High Street, Elkton, MD 21921
- Calvert County (Southern Region) – 1:00 p.m. at the Prince Frederick Volunteer Fire Department, 450 Solomon’s Island Road S, Prince Frederick, MD 20678
- Wicomico County (Eastern Region) – 2:00 p.m. at the Office of the State’s Attorney for Wicomico County, 309 E. Main St., Salisbury, MD 21801
- Montgomery County (Western Region) – 3:00 p.m. at the BlackRock Center for the Arts, 12901 Town Commons Drive, Germantown, MD 20874